Followers

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Hope

Sweet Pea Stamps

Today is my day to showcase and image from Sweet Pea Stamps and I have chosen to work with the beautiful image 'Hope' by Rebecca Sinz which is available from the Sweet Pea Store in both rubber and digi.

I have not made any of my candles recently and now seem to be on a bing with them.  I did one a couple of weeks ago, this one today and another one in the pipeline which I am trying to do a video tutorial on - that is a challenge in itself lol.  Anyway, here is todays candle :)

So many folks ask how I do these candles hence the trying to make the video but in the meantime I will do my best to explain the basics.  I start by using temporary adhesive spray on a piece of paper about 220gms in weight and then lay the tissue paper over the top doing my best to avoid any wrinkles.  Next I trim the excess tissue paper off so it will run through my printer with no issues.  To prepare my wrappers I use a template I made of the candle sizes I use regularly.  I then browse through my photos to find a suitable background.  For this wrapper I used two images, the sky was a photo I took in the Maldives on my 25th Wedding Anniversay - a fabulous second honeymoon lol, and for the foreground I used a beach scene taken while lying on my belly to get the rocky outcrop.  Next, in Photoshop, I imported the two images and removed the sections I did not want, here it was all the see and sky from the beach photo so I was only left with the rocky outcrop which I thought would be perfect to place the digi on.  Next I removed all the background from the digi so I was left with the equivalent of a .png image which I could then hand colour in line with the Terms of Use of most of the image we use these days.

I use crayons to colour my candle wrapper images as I find they work the best, this one was coloured with Faber Castelly Polychromos
And here is the image fully coloured.
Next I tried something new and tried rubber stamping a gold border, sentiment and a floral design to represent stars.  The sentiment worked fine and the flower stars were not to bad but the border was a disaster.
When working with candles it is imperative to think of fire safety, I would so hate to be the cause of a fire in somebody's home from one of my candles, so I have a couple of produces which are totally safe for decorating.  One is a gold dust and the other is a water based varnish.  To cover up the rubbish gold border I used the gold dust and tried to get a a vibrant distressed look.  This was applied with a soft sponge for the top and then I used a wide paintbrush to sweep around the upper section of the wrapper. To balance the gold out I added some more to the rocky outcrop at the bottom of the candle. Finally a quick layer of the candle water based varnish to add a shine and all done :)


Ingredients:-
  • Image - 'Hope' by Rebecca Sinz
  • Colouring Medium - Faber Castelly Polychromos
  • From my Stash - gold dust, candle varnish and the candle.
I am entering into the following challenges:-

Thank you for stopping by today and hope you have a happy crafting time ahead of you :) xx

17 comments:

  1. A stunning entry in to our challenge over at Rhedd's creative spirit...( please check our rules on the limit of how many times your project can be shared for our challenges ) As you are only the one over our limit,I will allow your entry...
    Sandie (blog owner) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous candle Mimi. Thank you for playing along with our Challenge at CCC Digi Creations. We would love to see you again. Anet DT x

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a word lovely. Thanks for sharing at Crafting with an Attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your candle is amazing, thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful and stunning! Thanks for joining us at SLS Lines this month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such a gorgeous candle, thanks for sharing it with us over at CCC Digi Creations.
    http://mycraftcreationsnz.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing candle, and thank you for sharing how you have made it. Thank you also for joining in the CCC Digi Challenge - all the best, and we hope to see you in the next challenge.
    Maxine
    DT CCC Digi Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a lovely candle and rightfully so you should be proud of its beauty. Thank you for joining in at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous creation! lovely to see a different take on stamped candles. Thanks for sharing it with us this week at Crafty Catz. Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful candle - the image is just perfect - and I love the border :o) Thanks for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics this month - Steffi xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fact you have combined the images in PS and then "melted" them on to your candle, I love the gold and the overall finish which is really beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Digitally Sweet Challenges, glad to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a very lovely candle. Gorgeous image too. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning! Thanks for joining at Paradise of Stamps: Bling
    Hugs
    Dewi

    ReplyDelete
  14. amazing work! Thank you so much for entering in our bling challenge at Allsorts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely fabulous! I love it. Thanks for joining us at the Crafting Cafe. Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great candle and look. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mimi! Your candle is so very beautiful & so much work has gone into it! I love it!
    Thanks so much for joining our Flights Of Fancy Challenge at The Crafting Cafe!
    Good Luck
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment, it means a great deal to me. Hoping you have happy crafting days ahead. Hugs Mimi